Warm Brussels Sprout Salad with Bacon
There are two things that Southerners just know…the first is that bacon makes everything better. Secondly, we have a way with words…
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups brussels sprouts, shredded or shaved
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crispy and set aside to crumble.
- Reserve about 1 tbsp of bacon fat in skillet.
- Whisk together vinegar, dijon mustard, sugar, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat bacon fat over medium high heat and add shredded brussels sprouts, let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the sprouts and continue cooking, stirring occasionally for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in dried cranberries letting mixture cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add crumbled bacon and toasted pecan pieces, stir well and let cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve warm.
Every time I go to Trader Joe’s, I discover something new and fabulous. I had never eaten a brussels sprout a day in my life until I discovered shredded brussels sprouts in the produce section. Somehow a bag of shredded sprouts seemed much less intimidating than whole brussels sprouts…and besides that we all know that bacon makes everything better!